Welfare Notices

road sign 464653 640

An excellent publication which provides a general guide to many of the scams currently operating in the UK with a view to increasing awareness and covering easy steps you can take to protect yourselves. A copy can be downloaded by going to: www.met.police.uk/docs/little_book_scam.pdf.

Liz Chamberlain Secretary

 bottle 390977 640

You'll never guess! We may not be able to recycle foil anymore but we CAN re-use plastic bottle tops! Please wash them first and bring them to the monthly meeting. They will be sold and the cash goes to the Hospice Movement and the actual plastic is reformed and makes wheelchairs. Amazing isn't it, so let's see what we can do?
Jennifer Thomas


 ID 10011610

(Image courtesy of graur codrin at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

If you find it harder to pay your heating bills (or are aware of someone who is) HertsHelp on 0300 123 4044 has government resources available. "Keep warm, Stay well" is their slogan so do feel free to use it.

Jennifer Thomas


iphone 410324 640

We probably all know that we should have at least one contact on our mobile phones headed “ICE” – in case of emergency. What I didn't know until I was required to attend a Speed Awareness Course is that this is the only number that the emergency services are permitted to call in the event of an accident or other emergency. Apparently you can have several ICE numbers, you just label them ICE1, ICE2 and so on. So it seems to be in everyone’s best interest to have at least one person listed as their ICE contact. Off to my phone now to sort it out! 

Trish Bindefeld

ID 100183957 

(Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

Can you spare an hour? If so, the Community Car Service would love to hear from you. This service takes those who need help to their medical appointments, but is in need of drivers to fulfil all their requests! Based in Ware the costs are reasonable at 45p per mile, payable to their driver on the day. Please call Terry on [01920 466942] or find out more from their website

 garbage can 231875 640

If, for physical health reasons you find it difficult to move your bins out for collection, the Council can do it for you. Simply apply for the (mandatory!) form from the Council - 01279 655261 option4 -fill it in and return it. When your request is successful the "bin men" will stick an "E" on your bins and from then on collect, empty and return them to your property for you!
J Thomas

East Herts Council Household Refuse and Recycling Collections Website

pinky swear 329329 640

The WRVS recently instigated their GOOD NEIGHBOUR SCHEME which may be something you need to be aware of. They will support any housebound person in such practical ways as collecting a prescription, filling in a form, taking to a medical appointment (payable at 50p per mile) even gardening.... just call them on 07843 265863 before you get desperate. Also, a leaflet is available from Jennifer Thomas.